Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Why Not Me Poem

So I know it has been an incredibly long time since I kept up with this blog but I am back and am planning on keeping up with everything a little better. For now I am posting a poem that I wrote.

Why Not Me?

What makes me any different,
From the man you want her to be with?
Look past my breasts,
Look past the fact that I don’t have
Something between my legs,
And tell me what makes him better
Than me?

Did he love her any more
Then I do?
No, impossible.
I love her with everything
I have between my ribs.
I would do anything
For her, can’t you see that?
So why not me?

I am going to college
And getting a degree;
I’m going to be a teacher!
And I know what you’re thinking
Teachers hardly make a living
But I will!
And I will make sure
She never wants for anything.
So again I ask you,
Why not me?

I make your daughter smile
And I make her laugh.
I make her feel loved
And safe.
I won’t take her for granted
I promise you that.
Now again I must ask
Why not me?

I am intelligent.
I can hold a conversation
About anything on my own.
I am kind to others
Because I think kindness
Is important.
I would never be disrespectful
To anyone.
So please, please tell me,
Why not me?

I love your daughter
More than I can put into words.
There will never be a day
In her life
That she doubts that.
She will always feel wanted
And always feel cared for
Isn’t that something
Any parent would want
For their child?
So forgive me for asking
But, why not me?

You should feel proud
To have such an incredible
Daughter,
Whom gives so much and
Wants so little
Except for your approval.
And all I want is to
Share in her incredible life.
So at the sake of sounding
Redundant, I ask you
Why not me?

If you looked beyond
My gender
And beyond the fact
That she is in a relationship
With another woman.
You would see nothing
But happiness and love.
If you looked beyond the
Labels lesbian and bi-sexual
I would not have to ask you
Why not me. 

1 comment: